Thursday, September 24, 2015

Topic 15 Reading for Inspiration






Greetings,
I hate to see summer end, don't you? But fall is officially upon us as of yesterday. Here, where I live, flowers are shedding their blooms and leaves are sailing to the ground all around us.
      At this time of year many of us shed what we don't need anymore too, including old clothing, stacks of newspapers and magazines, and items way past their expiration date. In the Midwest, the signs of this new season also reminds us it's time to clean up our yards and prepare for the fast approaching cold weather.
     For us writers this is the perfect time to catch up on new writing techniques via seminars or conferences and begin new novels. But have you given any thought to catching up on what the peers in your writing field are doing?
     I like to know what's going on in the mystery genre, my field of writing. It helps me see if I'm just tossing out another story in the same vein as someone else or really on a new path. But more importantly, when a story I'm working on becomes stagnant and boring and I think I should quit writing all together, turning to my favorite authors in my genre or even a new one, somehow magically spurs me on.
     Over the years my list has included such great authors as Agatha Christie, Robin Cook, John Grisham, Dorothy Gilman, Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Tony Hillerman, Robert Parker, and Stuart Woods. But having recently read books by Louise Penny and Laura Levine, I know I'll be reaching for one of theirs soon as well.
     What do these authors offer in their novels that makes me want to return to my writing? Various things. It could be the deeper insight into their main character and how he/she interacts with others versus my presentation in this area. Sometimes it takes a riveting plot to get me fired up again or even an author's grand details of people and surroundings. At other times it's may just be an authors use of simple humor that spurs me on.
     As I settle into this new season, I plan to start a new novel and also read many fine books for inspiration. How about you?
     What books have you read that encouraged you to continue writing? Please let me know and I'll share in the next blog.

Until Next Time
This is Marlene Chabot
         

No comments:

Post a Comment