Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Topic 30 Vacations Help Writer's Block


Bonjour ,
I bet you thought I forgot about blogging in June. Well, I didn't. I just returned from a wonderful adventure through Canada and Maine that has really got my creative juices flowing again. Now, I have to sit down, take pen to paper or fingers to keyboard, and actually start writing the story.

The last time you read my blog I said we'd cover novel's I've read and I'd point out the mundane information in the stories, but that
would entail including more than one line of a story and take up too much time. Besides, I'm certain the subject matter would bore you to death, no pun intended from this mystery author, especially if you're an avid reader like me and already skim excess filler to reach the heart of a story. Wouldn't it be great if authors who write long winded stories suddenly realized their novels didn't have to be between 400 and 1000 pages to still produce a super story?

My travel journey by car started around the beginning of June and lasted until we got back to Minnesota on June 21. We wound through a bit of Northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, andUpper Michigan before crossing into Canada via Sault St, Marie and continuing on to Ottawa, Quebec, and Camden, Maine.

Early that morning when we left home, the sun promised a glorious day and we wore shorts to stay cool. But by the time we reached the welcome center at the Northwest Portal of Wisconsin we were ready for long pants and winter jackets: the sun had departed and the temperature dropped sharply. We didn't complain about the change in temperature quite yet, though. How could we with the fabulous views of Lake Superior poking its head constantly through the trees for our enjoyment? 

Crossing the bridge over the Sault St. Marie locks,which allow water to flow from Lake Superior to the Lower Great Lakes, was a grand treat too despite the gentle patter of rain. I wish I had better photos of the locks but the rails along the bridge make picture taking difficult. When we finally reached our first stop, a hotel destination for the night in Sault St. Marie Ontario, the wind was blowing so hard the car doors felt like they were going to be torn off their hinges and we thought we'd be blown back to Minnesota. I'm not joking. Even the Canadians, clad in shorts like us who traipsed into the hotel alongside us wondered what happened to the nice day they had started out with. 

We had never driven into this Canadian area before and would've liked to have explored Sault Ste. Marie which sits close to the U.S.-Canadian border before we left for Ottawa and beyond in the morning, but this twosome was too pooped to do any sightseeing in the windy, rainy city that night. In case you're wondering, yes, there are two Sault St. Maries. The other resides on the northeastern edge of Michigan. 

I'll stop here for now with my travels. Our adventures through Quebec's Old Town (See photo at top of this blog) the home of my French-Canadian relatives will continue in the next blog. 

Remember, keep writing and reading.

Until Next Time
This is Marlene Chabot
Mystery Author












No comments:

Post a Comment