Sunday, January 15, 2017

Topic 36 Planning Ahead


Greetings from Florida.
Yes, it's that time of year again when snowbirds from up north like myself travel south to soak up a little sun. But before most of us arrive at our new destination for the winter months, we sit down and make plans regarding transportation, sleep accommodations, dining, and even things we'd like to see and do.

Planning ahead as a writer is also very important. In order to move forward in the new year, we need to sit down and seriously consider where we as a writer want to go or grow. Perhaps 2017 will be the year you finally attend a seminar in your field of writing, submit an entry for a competition, prepare a short story or book for
publication.  

My plans for the new year down here always start with attending whatever functions I can, including writer meetings. Then as I move further into January, I begin to research websites for Spring,
Summer, Fall events in my home state. If I sign up early, I don't lose out. The old saying, "The early bird catches the worm," makes sense if you want to be out selling your writings.   

Very rarely do things backfire when you do them too early, but there are exceptions. I submitted a story to be included in a book with other writers and didn't check to make sure the person handling the process received the story. You should've seen the surprise on my face this past week when I discovered my story wasn't in the book. Lesson Learned: I will check and double check to make sure the story has been received. 

Remember, if you want to succeed in whatever you do, plan ahead even if certain things don't pan out. There's always next time.

Until Next Time
This is Marlene Chabot
Mystery Author

No comments:

Post a Comment