Saturday, February 18, 2017

Topic 37 Awaken to Tales of our Elders



Greetings,
My time spent in Florida this winter has almost come to an end and I regret that I'll be losing out on hearing many more tales shared by the older generation living in the area.

When I took a walk to the airport near here the other day, I was still pondering what topic this blog should be about. The idea came after taking a short break on a bench with a stranger in her eighties. She wanted to talk so I listened. And this author couldn't believe what she had to say.

It turns out this lonely widow, a retired teacher, drives down to Florida by herself every fall from Winnipeg. She loves to walk and happens to be one of the original owners from the 1980's to buy into the condo complex we spend time at. Thanks to her few stories about the early days living here I got some ideas for the next story I write. 

The woman at the airport is not the only elderly person I've been privileged to connect with by happenstance. A gentleman attending a writer's group down here spoke about his time in Great Britain, meeting Winston Churchill and Queen Elizabeth. Two women, I've had lunch with raised horses for a living and won many awards for harness racing. My friend's neighbor has been married for over 70 years and still loves to play tennis at 95.

Of course, I've met many elderly people who share what's happening to their spouses too--Parkinsons, cancer, heart problems, and Alzheimer. These tales can be just as important to hear for a writer. For people suffer in fiction as well as non-fiction.     

The older generation has many tales to share. They have seen and done things many of us will never experience in our lifetime. Who knows what you as a writer might glean from listening. Awaken to tales of our elders.

Till Next Time
This is Marlene Chabot
Mystery Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment